Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Technical difficulties.

A few weeks ago, while furiously tapping on my keyboard and getting fellow bloggers "riled", which is never my intent but just seems to happen anyway, I suddenly lost my internet connection. After spending an extraordinary amount of time evaluating every possible software issue, I traced the problem to a 4 port Linksys router. The router after 6 years of faithful service is no longer "routing". My better half has the "host" system and my "client" system just piggybacks off her system. Strangely, I have been planning to buy a new router but it just seems that I never have the time. If it's not this it is that. Maybe it is because there are alternative systems available to me like the host computer and the one at work. If these alternatives were not available to me, I would have solved this problem a long time ago. I think there is a lesson in all this. Can't think of what it is, though.

8 comments:

Boo said...

in the spirit of my new found status of being full of it (cool sayings that is):

"most of us are more comfortable with old problems than with new solutions"

roman said...

boo,

You may have something there. I think this problem is like a little security blanket. It enhances "purpose" and so contributes in a small way to my sense of "life fulfillment".
Either that or I am just plain lazy and better get of my *ss and get to the nearest BEST BUY store.

Pete said...

roman

In addition to boo's post I think routers are relatively new technology. They are not "designated" handyman problems like leaking taps.

Pete

San Nakji said...

I have no idea what you are talking about. It sounds painful though and so I feel that you should see a doctor immediately.

beatroot said...

What is God's name is a router? And should I get one?

Pete said...

beatroot

a router channels/diverts signals from your broadband telephone cable/connection to your computer(s).

A router is basically a broadband modem - outside your computer - unlike the traditional internal narrowband modem.

Pete

roman said...

A router is usually used in situations where there are more than one computer that connects to the web via a broadband connection. The benefit is a monthly charge for one connection instead of two or more. This arrangement is only possible if the Internet Service Provider allows it.
A secondary benefit is that it provides an additional level of security by making the connection practically invisible to hackers by providing greater anonymity.

Frank Partisan said...

I appreciate the explanation.